Blogger Layouts

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Water Issues.....

  This summer, I thought it was my good fortune to be put in charge of checking the cows here at the home place.  We have 250 head of pairs at home for the summer and normally we check them every other day.  I take them salt & mineral, check water, pasture conditions and then monitor the cattle for any sickness.  However, what I didn't know was that the wind wasn't going to fully cooperate for me this summer and keep our tanks full. 

Out of water - time to move them!

  I have spent the majority of my time this summer moving cattle from one pasture to the next and then back again when the tanks were full.  It's been 'special' to say the least!  But, it's also been job security as well.  Mr T has been helping me recently and he can yell at the cattle with the best of them to get them moving. 
Strung out and heading towards the gate.

This little calf was sick this spring, nearly died but looks good now!

Boss Man helped me on this move, he got to herd his Buffalo.

  These pictures are from July, things are not quite as green around since the temps have been in the 90s with no rain for about 10 days now.  I can not complain too much with the cooler temps and timely rains, we haven't had to doctor anything at the home place for sickness (knock on wood) which is huge!  I am looking forward to things cooling off so we can start working the calves thru the chutes for their shots to help keep sickness at minimum and to get ready for weaning!  Fall is on my mind but summer is in the air!

Have a Blessed Day!
~C~

No comments:

Post a Comment