Blogger Layouts

Friday, March 2, 2012

Flash Freeze!

  I have a new hobby in my life - Flash Freezing....and no, it's not flashing in the winter so I freeze!

  I spent time in the kitchen the other day while Mr T was sleeping.  In less than an hour's time, I had chopped up and flash frozen Onions and Green Peppers to use in the next couple of months.  After buying veggies and letting them go to waste in the past, I have started working harder at finding ways to have fresh veggies on hand at all times and not waste any $$$.

  It's so easy to chop up Onions and Green Peppers, flash freeze and then put them into individual storage bags that I don't know why I haven't been doing this before.  To flash freeze all I did was take a cookie sheet and cover it with parchment paper, add the veggies and stick it in the freezer.  I let them freeze for about a 1/2 hour before removing them, then I put them in individual snack bags (my version of knowing the amount that I want at a time.) Then back into the freezer they went.  Simple and cost effective.  When there are sales....stock up!  Plus, if I chop them up now, it's one less thing that I have to do when preparing a meal.   It's a win - win situation!

Green Peppers ready to flash!
Onions - Ready to flash!
  Make sure that you use a new piece of parchment paper with each new batch of 'flashing' that is being done.  This helps rid your veggie of extra moisture and when you freeze them the final time, your veggies won't stick together.  Happy Flashing!

Have a Blessed Day!
~C~

4 comments:

  1. I might have to add this to my freezer meal list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part is that you get all of that crying over onions all done in one shot!!! I am looking purchasing a KitchenAid Food Chopper to help me chop onions...they are just too toxic for me!

      Delete
  2. You are better than me.... I usually just cut them up and throw them in the bag and freeze. I can see where this would definitely be better. Hopefully when I get my big freezer in the garage I can do this! ... does your hubby want a job building a garage. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right after he finshes my house!!! I definately won't be loaning him out until we get the whole house done! I am looking forward to getting our freezer back as well, we have been using a rather small one that is half filled with other stuff that isn't ours.

      Delete